rosemary inn north augusta

augusta historyRosemary Inn is one of two mansions built at the turn-of-the-century overlooking the beautiful town center of North Augusta, the Savannah River, and Augusta, Georgia. Across Carolina Avenue sits Rosemary’s sister property, Lookaway Hall. Both mansions are listed on the National Register of Historic Places in America. The founding father of  North Augusta, James U. Jackson, completed construction on Rosemary Hall in 1902.

 

The home echoes the classic style of the antebellum era, although the interior reflects the fashion of the Gilded Age. Mr. Jackson reportedly searched through thirty trainloads of pine lumber – free of knots -  with just the right “burl” for the paneling and ceilings. Mr. Jackson’s daughter, Edith, married J. Bishop Alexander in 1913.  She and her family lived in the home until the early 1980s. During that time, Rosemary was also home to Daisy King Jackson and her family, as well as the residence of youngest brother John Williams Jackson.

 

In 1992, Rosemary Hall and Lookaway Hall were completely renovated and restored as a pair of historic inns with twenty-three guest rooms. In 1996, scenes for Disney’s remake of “That Darn Cat” were filmed at both Inns.  Kelly and Diana Combs purchased Rosemary Hall in 2009 to create Rosemary Inn Bed & Breakfast.  Today, Rosemary provides the perfect setting for business meetings, luncheons, weddings and receptions, or just a relaxing stay in a lovely historic Bed & Breakfast Inn.

augusta history